Friday, January 23, 2009

Hello Everyone and Welcome!

My name is Luis H. Valadez and I (along with Stanee Willis) am the Program Coordinator for the after-school tutoring program at Maria Shelter in Inglewood. The program is provided by Chicago HOPES (Heightening Opportunity and Potential for Educational Success), an organization dedicated to combating the negative effects of child homelessness on education. We serve Chicago Public Schools Students K-12 in seven different homeless shelters across the city. Other sites include Thelma's in Ashburn, Cornerstone in Uptown, Ubuntu in Brighton Park, Tab House 1 South in Grisham, Tab House West in East Garfield Park, and Great Hope Family Center in Pilsen.

My fellow coordinators and myself will be posting regularly about our programs and experiences and I encourage you to read and respond to this and the other program blogs. I encourage you to check out our organization Chicago HOPES as well. I am also a poet and writer with my first book what i'm on (University of Arizona Press) coming out in March.

We look forward to everyone's comments and input.

Sincerely,

Luis Humberto Valadez

2 comments:

  1. Hi Luis! Thanks so much for coming to the blogging workshop on Friday. I just wrote about your blog in my blog at http://nicolecabrini.blogspot.com and added your blog to my list of favorite blogs. Happy Blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good that you are running program everyday and sharing experience keep it up!!
    Carol
    Are you scared to be alone at home need security

    ReplyDelete